1. check out the amazing artists that create those awesome screen-printed concert posters at flatstock. flatstock 29 will run wed 3/16/11 through sat 3/19/11. my favorites are tara mcpherson and jason munn (small stakes).
2. download the sxsw go app or make a schedule using a good ole excel spreadsheet. a pre-printed out schedule was always pretty reliable for me. just make sure it is updated within a few days of the festival. this year, i’m using both.
3. wear comfy shoes! i’ve walked (and at times ran) everywhere between I-35 and waterloo records which is a span of 15 blocks. i will likely wear my trademark red shoes so say hi if you see me!
4. have your camera ready at all times. you never know what you will see. last year i saw a completely naked old man riding a bicycle. and you might see austin legend leslie or perhaps a celebrity sighting like bill murray who was in attendance last year.
5. go to shows at the lamar pedestrian bridge. it is not a designated or even legal venue, but some really good pop-up shows will likely occur here late at night.
6. don’t buy a badge or pass. the day parties are where it’s at! don’t get me wrong, i do attend the evening showcases but it is more worth it for me to pay at the door because chances are high that i will stay at that particular venue for the rest of the evening. oh and even if you do have a badge/pass you still won’t get into full venues.
7. don’t see the big headliners. chances are you can see them tour in your city within the next few months. while it would have been cool to see she & him last year, the lines were horrendous.
8. rsvp to day parties. i’m not sure the point of this, but do it anyways.
9. keep cash on hand. buy some band merch! plus there are lots of street food vendors and not all of them take credit. there has also been an influx of food trailers in austin in the last few years. keep track of them here.
10. be polite to everyone! you are in one of the most friendliest cities in texas!