local artist to: houston texas
riyl: americana, folk rock, indie-ish
buxton played sxsw but i wasn’t exposed to them until after i left austin. sad, i know. they’d probably be really great live. i love the song doctor and the remix is pretty cool too. love remixes. i seem to be gravitating towards americana at the moment. listening to buxton, i feel like heading down to the continental club and chillin’ out with a lone star in hand. that sounds nice.
listen & love
it was a crazy fun sxsw this year! while i could fill up a whole page on everything i did while in austin, it would take a while and probably not be that interesting to anyone but me. sadly the number of beers drank was more than then number of bands seen. but that’s ok. i had a rad time with friends as well as running around on my own and meeting new people.
it is not the greatest video quality and i was dancing a bit while filming. enjoy!
yuck: the wall. sharp set but not much stage presence.
baths: aminals. amazing live! i have a crush on will wiesenfeld… so adorable.
grouplove: gold coast. incredible energy on stage. best performance imo.
grouplove: colours. this person was standing next to me at the same show filming. you can prob hear me screaming. again, best sxsw performance overall!
i’m still slacking with the sxsw stuff (it’s nothing great, mind you). but here’s another video. it’s friday friday gotta get ready for the weekend weekend.
i have yet to get my sxsw videos converted. in the meantime, check out this rad video. i am not a star trek fan AT ALL, but this is too clever! engage!
ah, the last week has been frantic getting ready for my trip to austin. now that i am here, i am enjoying every last minute. i will resume with LOTS of sxsw stories, photos and video in the coming days. i love austin.
i have been playing lots of texas hold ’em recently and am even the point leader of the week in the seattle poker open! *yay!* i don’t claim to be a great poker player but i do claim to love the game. so naturally i have poker on the brain. here are some pretty sweet playing card inspired creations and goodies.
this would look lovely hanging in our house. (source)
omg, these suit hats are totally adorable! i could wear it at the championship tourney perhaps?? (source)
ahhh, my love of 8-bit video games and poker combined. (source)
annie want dunny! (source)
cool sith print. (source)
pretty vintage playing cards… i might have to start a new collection! (source)
…yann tiersen was amazing on saturday! so incredible that i haven’t listened to anything else all morning.
i feel very lucky to have been able to see the frenchman twice within one year, the last time being with my little sis at the granada theater in april 2010. i had a horrible cold that day and even called in sick to work just so i would feel good for the show that night.
i’m still kinda speechless about the show at nuemos. it was completely magical and mesmerizing. i love when artists constantly swap instruments during a set. yann played the guitar, mandolin, melodica, moog synthesizer and of course his violin. ahhh, the violin!
i still get goosebumps just watching the videos. i hope you do too. and i love yann’s pairing of a striped hoodie with a flannel shirt on top ♥
yann tiersen also made my favorite live shows of 2010 list.
zomg! as a huge fan of lionel richie back in the day, i just had to share this.
enjoy this lovely tune from nicholas thorburn (islands) and jim guthrie, aka human highway.
1. check out the amazing artists that create those awesome screen-printed concert posters at flatstock. flatstock 29 will run wed 3/16/11 through sat 3/19/11. my favorites are tara mcpherson and jason munn (small stakes).
2. download the sxsw go app or make a schedule using a good ole excel spreadsheet. a pre-printed out schedule was always pretty reliable for me. just make sure it is updated within a few days of the festival. this year, i’m using both.
3. wear comfy shoes! i’ve walked (and at times ran) everywhere between I-35 and waterloo records which is a span of 15 blocks. i will likely wear my trademark red shoes so say hi if you see me!
4. have your camera ready at all times. you never know what you will see. last year i saw a completely naked old man riding a bicycle. and you might see austin legend leslie or perhaps a celebrity sighting like bill murray who was in attendance last year.
5. go to shows at the lamar pedestrian bridge. it is not a designated or even legal venue, but some really good pop-up shows will likely occur here late at night.
6. don’t buy a badge or pass. the day parties are where it’s at! don’t get me wrong, i do attend the evening showcases but it is more worth it for me to pay at the door because chances are high that i will stay at that particular venue for the rest of the evening. oh and even if you do have a badge/pass you still won’t get into full venues.
7. don’t see the big headliners. chances are you can see them tour in your city within the next few months. while it would have been cool to see she & him last year, the lines were horrendous.
8. rsvp to day parties. i’m not sure the point of this, but do it anyways.
9. keep cash on hand. buy some band merch! plus there are lots of street food vendors and not all of them take credit. there has also been an influx of food trailers in austin in the last few years. keep track of them here.
10. be polite to everyone! you are in one of the most friendliest cities in texas!